July is Independents Month!
Independents Month celebrates independent, locally-owned businesses and the community values they embody:
- Their spirit of entrepreneurship, individuality, uniqueness, and character
- How they give back to our community with their time, talents, goods, and services
- How they fulfill community needs that make us healthier and wealthier
Call to Action!
Independents Month is a fabulous time to:
- Learn about what’s available locally
- Consider the consequences of your choices
- Shift some of your spending to align with your values
You can join us by taking the Indie Pledge to shift 25% of your spending to independent, locally-owned businesses in the month of July.
Proudly proclaim your independence! If you take the Indie Pledge, you receive a digital badge to share far and wide, loud and proud. If you’re a local, independent business, we’ve got a digital badge and window sticker for you; just contact email@example.com.
Why buy local?
- Money: When we shop local, money stays in our local economy longer and does more good. For every $100 you spend at a locally-owned business, an average of $68 stays in the local community. Compare that to just $43 for a big box store.
- Jobs: Local businesses = local jobs. Small businesses are the state’s largest employer. They hire our neighbors, family members, and friends.
- Charm: Local businesses shape the character of our communities. They make our places unique and interesting.
- Climate: Buying local is good for the environment. It means less resources and energy were used to transport goods.
- Community: Local businesses are more inclined to give back to the local community — think Little League teams, raffle donations, and charitable giving — because they are part of the local community. They donate almost 2.5x more per employee than national chains.
- Trust: It feels good to do business with someone you know.
With every dollar we spend, we can keep money multiplying in the local economy.